BREAKING: Varadkar says people “must stay at home” until April 12
By Oisín McGovern
An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has stated that people “must stay at home” until April 12 to contain the spread of Covid-19.
Speaking at a press briefing, the Taoiseach stated: “Effective from midnight tonight, for a two week period until Easter Sunday, everybody must stay at home except for specific circumstances.”
The Taoiseach announced severe new restrictions on movement in order to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Mr Varadkar described the new restrictions as the “most intensive phase” in the battle against Covid-19.
“I am asking people to forgo their personal freedoms for a greater cause”, said Mr Varadkar.
He said that “cocooning” would be introduced for over-70s and people with underlying conditions, meaning they must not leave their homes under any circumstances.
Only essential shops such as food stores and pharmacies are to remain open and public transport is to be restricted to “essential workers and people who provide essential services”.
All public and private gathering outside will be prohibited from tomorrow.
The number of cases of coronavirus in the Republic of Ireland rose to 2,121 today, including 57 cases in Galway.
Three more people died as a result of Covid-19 today. One of the deceased was a healthcare worker, according to Mr Varakdar.
The Taoiseach said: “Our country is rising to this challenge and I am convinced we will prevail.”
Until April 12 people may only leave their homes for the following reasons:
- To travel to and from work for the purposes of work, only where the work is in health, social care or other essential services.
- Shopping for food or household goods or to collect a meal.
- To attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products.
- For vital family reasons such as providing childcare or care for the elderly.
- To take brief individual physical exercise 2 kilometres from your home.
- For farming purposes and the care of animals.
1 thought on “BREAKING: Varadkar says people “must stay at home” until April 12”