Galway knock Tipperary out of Allianz Hurling League

Galway 3-21 Tipperary 3-13

By Keith Faherty

Galway showed resilience in the second half as they came from seven points down to book a place in the Allianz National League Quarter-Finals against Wexford next weekend.

Goals from Conor Whelan and Cathal Mannion were crucial to Galway’s victory.

Tipperary got off with the perfect start and had the ball in the net after less than two minutes.

John McGrath scored the first and second goals, as he hit the opening goal two and half minutes in, which gave James Skehill no chance.

McGrath grabbed the second goal with good individual play, which gave the Galway defence no chance of keeping it out.

Jason Forde added the third green flag with a goal in good individual play.

Tipperary finished the opening half, showing why they are All Ireland champions leading 3-07 to 0-09,

Galway kept in touch with the accurate Evan Niland, who hit three points in a row from placed balls.

Galway’s defence made mistakes, which proved costly when Forde dropped in a free which led to the goal.

Galway kept in touch and started getting some confidence three minutes before the half time whistle. Scores came from Seamus Callanan, Ronan Maher and Cian Darcy.

Forde converted another point as Tipperary led by seven points at the break.

Galway, who were playing in their back yard in front of 5,750 spectators as they came out in the second as a different team,

Full-forward Conor Whelan grabbed an early goal which set Galway on their way.

With a brilliant pass from Brian Concannon set up Whelan who finished superbly.

Tipperary responded with points from Padraic Maher, Dillon Quirke, Michael Breen and Jason Forde to give them a by 3-11 to 1-14.

Jason Flynn he converted an excellent sideline in the absence of Joe Canning to keep the scoreboard ticking.

Johnny Coen’s long ball set Whelan who caught the ball above his head before turning and firing in his second goal.

This put The Tribesmen in front for the first time in the match with 14 minutes remaining.

The win was in the bag after as Cathal Mannion ran in to score their third goal.

Galway: James Skehill; Darren Morrissey, Gearoid McInerney, Paul Killeen; Padraic Mannion, Shane Cooney, Fintan Burke; Johnny Coen (0-01), Aidan Harte; Cathal Mannion (1-00), Conor Whelan (2-00), Evan Niland (0-14, 0-13f); Conor Cooney (0-01), Jason Flynn (0-01, sideline), Brian Concannon (0-04).

Subs: Sean Loftus for Killeen (25), Adrian Tuohey for S Cooney (45), David Burke for P Mannion (56), Niall Burke for Flynn (56), Kevin Cooney for Concannon (66).

Tipperary: Brian Hogan; Paul Maher, Barry Heffernan, Ronan Maher (0-01); Seamus Kennedy, Padraic Maher (0-01), Alan Flynn; Noel McGrath, Ger Browne; Jason Forde (1-05, 0-02f, 0-02 ’65), Seamus Callanan (0-01), Dillon Quirke (0-01); John McGrath (2-01), John O’Dwyer, Cian Darcy.

Subs: Michael Breen (0-01) for Browne (48), Sean O’Brien for P Maher (48), Paul Flynn for O’Dwyer (57), Dan McCormack for Quirke (59), Jerome Cahill for Darcy (69).

Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.