Galway edge past Meath in close encounter

Meath 1-12 Galway 1-14

Galway now have the opportunity to relegate nearest and dearest neighbours, Mayo after claiming a victory against Meath.

Galway is edging closer to reaching the Allianz National Football league Division One Final, coming from ten points down yet again to claim a two-point victory against Meath yesterday.

Padraic Joyce’s were losing by 1-06 to 0-0 but, in a magnificent comeback late in the first-half they won by two points after being ten points down at one stage.

Shane Walsh continued with his impressive scoring spree, putting in a man of the match performance, and was top scorer of 0-7. Despite the wet and windy conditions, he sealed the victory for the visitors.

Paul Conroy made a significant impact when introduced as a sub coming on late in the first half scoring four points and setting up the goal for Corofin’s Ronan Steede.

Conroy, struck four points after coming on as a substitute late in the first-half while Corofin’s Ronan Steede hit the Tribesmen’s goal.

The win has given a massive boost, with Mayo to play Galway at home in two weeks. A victory would give them a final spot in the Division One League Final.

Meath had hoped of keeping their status after going into an early start and outscoring Galway 1-13 to 0-06 in the first half.

Galway’s focus was to claim a good win in at Páirc Tailteann, Navan after their big win over Tyrone last weekend in Tuam Stadium. However, they were shell-shocked by the brilliant start that Meath got.

Thirty-one minutes went on the clock, and Galway only managed one point coming from Mountbellow/Moylough Michael Daly.

Meath were hungrier and racing into 1-06 to 0-01 after the half-hour mark.

James Conlon’s pace was as sharp as a corner forward and he scored three of the points from play for Meath.

Ethan Devine hit the back of the net after 16 minutes as Meath edged 1-03 to 0-01 in front.

It was a beautiful goal in the build-up to playing as they drove numbers forward to help the full-back, Conor McGill, as Bryan McMahon gave it to Devine who drove it low, past Conor Gleeson.

Midfielder Oisin O Brien, Galway native, who got the transfer to Meath got his game off the mark with a good point.

Galway eventually started coming back stronger before the break by getting the last four points without reply to be losing 1-06 to 0-05.

Galway Captain Walsh scored three frees in succession,

while St Michael’s Eamon Brannigan, with an individual score, gave Galway some confidence going into the second half.

As the game was reaching its pearl, there was a bust-up on the touchline from both management staff. Meath Manager McEntee had strong words for referee Niall Cullen as he walked off the pitch.

Galway had most possession the third quarter by dominating and scoring 1-02 without reply, a goal coming from Steede in the 40th minute.

It came from an error from the Meath defense.

As Galway turned ball over, while Conroy gave it to Steede and he buried it.

Conroy made massive contributions leveling the scores 1-06 each.

Donal Lenihan came off the bench scoring late points.

However, it was not enough, as two frees from Walsh confirmed Meath relegation to Division two. There was a strong impact from the Meath bench as three late points were scored, two from frees.

This tied it up at 1-12 apiece later on, but those two new Walsh points gave the tribesmen the win.

Galway: Connor Gleeson; Sean Kelly, Sean  Mulkerrin, Johnny Heaney; Liam Silke, John Daly, Gary O’Donnell; Ronan Steede (1-01), Tom Flynn; Eamonn Brannigan (0-01), Cein D’Arcy, Michael Daly (0-01); Martin Farragher, Shane Walsh (0-07, 0-06f), Adrian Varley.

Subs: Paul Conroy (0-04, 0-01m) for Farragher (27), Gareth Bradshaw for O’Donnell (52), Robert Finnerty for Varley (55), Darragh Silke for Daly (61), Matthias Barrett for Steede (65).

Meath: Marcus Brennan; Robin Clarke, Conor McGill, David Toner; James McEntee, Ronan Ryan, Donal Keogan; Bryan Menton (0-02), Brian Conlon; Ethan Devine (1-00), Bryan McMahon (0-03), Cillian O’Sullivan; James Conlon (0-03), Oisin O’Brien (0-01), Thomas O’Reilly.

Subs: Shane Walsh for O’Brien (48), Donal Lenihan (0-03, 0-02f) for Devine (55), Jack O’Connor for James Conlon (55), Padraic Harnan for Brian Conlon (55)

Referee: Niall Cullen (Fermanagh).

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: