Drogheda Win Battle Of The Uniteds

Galway United 0 – 1 Drogheda United

A disappointing night on offense and one grave mistake by the goalkeeper sealed the fate for Galway United during their 1-0 loss against Drogheda United at Eamonn Deacy Park on Friday.

The lone goal of the night came after 26 Minutes, when Mark Doyle was sent down the left wing with a nice through ball. Galway’s defence reacted quickly and forced Doyle towards the end line and into a difficult angle on goal, but he took the shot regardless. Galway’s keeper Andreas Werner did not react quickly enough, left the near corner too open and could only watch as the ball hit the net.

The Tribesmen had controlled the opening minutes with Conor Barry orchestrating several good looking attacking plays. After 6 minutes he chipped a pass into the run of Colin Kelly who was not able to control the ball before it rolled out of play. Ten minutes later the ball found his way to Barry after a low corner but his shot got blocked by a defender at the last moment.

The goal then changed the complexion of the game, with Drogheda now firmly in control. Conor Barry’s control in the attacking third seemed to have vanished just like Andreas Werner’s confidence in goal had after his mistake. The German keeper was visibly flustered and produced several ill-advised passes and shaky saves. Still, he kept his side in the game when he reacted well to another Doyle shot from close range after 34 minutes.

Alan Murphy’s substitutions did ultimately not turn around the game but they produced one of the few highlights for the Tribesmen in this game. Late addition to the squad, Ivan Gamarra, got to play the second half in defensive midfield and showed a great combination of relentless energy and crisp passing. The Argentinian threw himself into every tackle up until the final whistle and showed a good eye for his teammates when he picked out Vinny Faherty in the 55th minute. His chip shot on the turn then went just wide right of the post. With showings like this, Gamarra is a clear candidate for the starting line-up in the future.

Some of the usual key players like Vinny Faherty and Conor Barry were not able to shine like they usually do. In general, the Galway offense was hampered by a lack of precision and harmony in the passing game. The once again newly assembled pair of wingers did not help the routine in the attacking build-up. While Colin Kelly seems to be the clear choice on the one side, the other wing was occupied by Conor Melody who was not able to impose his will onto the game.

Alan Murphy still has his tactical work cut out for him while trying to find the perfect combination of all the young talent in his squad. He might need to accelerate that process somehow in order to avoid another disappointing season for the Tribesmen.


Galway United:

16 Andreas Werner (GK), 2 Christopher Horgan, 3 Marc Ludden, 5 Stephen Walsh (C), 6 Maurice Nugent, 8 Conor Melody, 9 Vinny Faherty, 10 Conor Barry, 11 Colin Kelly, 13 Cian Murphy, 21 Joe Collins

Substitutes: 25 James Tierney (GK), 12 Ronan Asgari, 14 Wilson Waweru, 15 Mark Hannon, 17 Ivan Gamarra, 22 Jeff McGowan, 23 Dara Costelloe

Manager: Alan Murphy

Shelbourne FC:

1 Paul Skinner (GK), 2 James Brown, 3 Conor Kane, 4 Mark Hughes, 5 Kevin Farragher, 6 Luke Gallagher, 8 Sean Brennan (C), 14 Mark Doyle, 15 Stephen Meaney, 16 Cian Kavanagh, 17 Luke McNally

Substitutes: 23 Luke Gratzer (GK), 9 Chris Lyons, 18 Sean Trimble, 19 Eoin McPhilips, 20 Jordan Adeyemo, 21 Luke Heeney, 22 James Clarke

Manager: Tim Ciancy

Referee: Ray Matthews

Assistant Referee: Alan Sherlock

Assistant Referee: Rafal Pieper

Fourth Official: John McLoughlin

About Post Author

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.